Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Apricot Scrub and Why You Should QUIT IT!

Alright guys, what did you expect? Of course my first post is going to be about my hatred towards the oh-so-popular St. Ives Apricot Scrub!
Disclaimer: this post, and my posts in the future, are not meant to bash the people who are using this product. This post is to simply inform you that it is not highly recommended by me (and many, many other skincare professionals) to use. ever. :)
So lets get started. Everybody loves a nice deep exfoliation, but guess what.. scrubbing your skin literally OFF is not the way to do it. I go into work everyday and meet new clients and as soon as I get them on the table, I say, "Explain to me your skin care routine and the products you are currently using." I can honestly say that about 60% of clients mention a scrub and almost 80% of those people say ST. IVES APRICOT SCRUB. My next question: "How often do you use your apricot scrub?" Answer: "Everyday in the shower." My eyes then start twitchy and my blood starts boiling. Jk. But this really is my biggest pet-peeve. Scrubs are great, don't get me wrong, but this scrub in particular is made with walnut shell powder, sharp as needles! When you use this scrub you are creating tiny little cuts in your skin and damaging your sensitive little face! But not only that, you are spreading bacteria to the deepest layers of your skin. People with acne should stay far FAR away from this scrub.

HERE IS WHY:

  • Scrubbing causes irritation and inflammation, especially when you are the type that thinks the harder you scrub, the cleaner your skin will get. Listen, Linda listen.. STOP DOING THAT. When your pores get inflamed they swell, close up and trap p. acnes bacteria inside. This creates a happy environment for the bacteria to survive and spread, resulting in more breakouts. The only thing that I can think of that is worse than scrubbing your acne to death is pouring bleach on your face. The idea of apricot scrub being advertised towards people with acne makes me want to vomit. 
  • You know that tight feeling you get after cleansing your skin with this scrub? That my friends, is due to Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL) which is caused by you damaging your sensitive little face. Definition of TEWL: the measurement of the quantity of water that passes from inside a body through the epidermal layer to the surrounding atmosphere via diffusion and evaporation processes. Think of a grape, nice firm and juicy.. Now think of a raisin, dried, deflated and sad. 


It's okay to feel bad, you didn't know! That's why I'm here to help. Now as your new Estie Bestie, I'm going to teach you the right way to exfoliate!
  1. When choosing a scrub, you need to look for ingredients such as jojoba beads and sugar.
  2. Scrubbing is not the only way to exfoliate. Chemical exfoliation is a thing too!
  3. Scrub GENTLY. Be nice to your skin, it's the only one you've got! Rub in small circular motions upwards for about 3 mins then rinse very well and follow with moisturizer. Please :)
  4. The amount of times you should exfoliate depends on your skin type but it's not recommended to exfoliate more than 3/4 times per week.
There a millions of exfoliators on the market, choosing one that works for you takes time but if you have any questions go see a local esthetician or ask me :)

Now, throw away your St. Ive's Apricot scrub or give it to your worst enemy, apologize to your sweet little face, and share this with people you know who use this product!


Do you have a favorite exfoliator? Let me know in the comments!

Also, I'll probably be posting like this once or twice a week and I already have an idea of my first few posts but if you have any questions or ideas that you want me to write about, let me know!

Thanks for hanging out!

XO Lindsay

4 comments:

  1. What is your favorite exfoliant to use?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Missy! It really depends on your skin type. If you have acne, I love using a salicylic cleanser 2/3 times per week. If you have clearer skin, you could use something like Murad's Skin Polish. Also going to an esthetician and scheduling a skin consultation is a great idea, it shouldn't cost hardly anything and they will be able to tell you exactly what your skin needs!

      Delete
  2. Hey sista sista!! I am so glad you made this blog, and especially this post. I had to learn the hard way with this scrub! I used it everyday (sometimes twice smh) and at first it did help prevent acne because it dried my face out so much. But after a couple weeks I broke out worse than EVER! I stopped using it and it took some time and TLC to get my face back to normal, but now it's better than before. My favorite scrub for acne to use a couple times a week is the Say Yes to Tomatoes Daily Pore Scrub it's very gentle and natural. I use the whole line of cleansers and what not and I love it! For a yummier more exfoliating scrub I use the Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask. Both can be found at ulta! And are very inexpensive! Can't wait for more posts and to hear about some of your fav products I can try out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexi! That's awesome, I'm glad you found something that is working for you!! Thanks for the support girly :)

      Delete